Moong Daal (or) Paasi Paruppu payasam is one of an often dish prepared by Mom for her regular Friday Poojas.
My childhood favorite payasam that adds to my Friday curiosities always. I brought this topic today as we are now in Tamil Aadi month.
Tuesdays & Fridays are extra auspicious in Aadi month for goddess and I am sure most of you would prefer to have a payasam for pooja.
Give this variety a try.
Water – As needed.
Ghee – 1 tsp
Elachi – a pinch (powdered).
Coconut pieces – 10 to 15 (small cuts).
Coconut Milk – 1/3 cup.
- Take 1/3 cup or 80 ml of Paasi Paruppu/Moong Daal.
- Wash it 3 or 4 times.
- Add it in the pressure cooker and pressure.
- Cook up to 4 whistles.
- After done, mix well in a mashing way.
- Take a sauce pan and 1 cup of Jaggery and ½ cup of water.
- In a low flame melt the jaggery.
- Strain it through a metal strainer and then add this to the mashed Paasi Paruppu/Moong Daal and Elachi.
- Boil in low flame for 7 to 10 mins . Then add 1/3 cup of coconut milk and mix well.
- Switch off the stove.
- Take a pan and add 1 tsp ghee and then add fresh coconut pieces in it.
- Fry it till coconut pieces turns light brown.
- Add it in Payasam.
Another delight of traditional flavored payasam is ready to serve!!!