Welcome back to the Page. Traditionally, south Indian Restaurant used to serve white Kurma for chapatis before we got used to Paneer dishes.
Even today, you may notice that most of the hotels at your corners do serve with this kurma as their trade mark.
Personally, I always felt that this variety of Kurma is the apt side dish for Chapatis or Poori at home. You can try this with Jeera Rice.
- Coconut - 1 cup ( grated)
- Cashew nuts - 6 Nos.
- Kasa Kasa (Kush Kush) - 1 tsp
- Green Chilli - 3
- Fennel Seeds ( Saombu) - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 2 Nos. ( just 2 cloves and not full garlic)
- ginger ( Optional) - a small hinge.
Veggies for Kurma:
- Cauliflower -150 gms
- Carrot -1 small
- Onion -1 ( big sized)
- Green Chilli -1
- Green peas - 2 tbsp ( or a small cup).
Other items for Kurma:
- Cinnamon -1 small piece
- Bay leaves - 1 small
- Cardamom -2
- Clove -2 pieces
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Ghee -1 tbsp
- Water - 2 cup
- Coconut milk ( optional) - 1 small cup ( 60 ml)
- Salt as per your taste.
- Take a bowl (not glass) of water and add 1 tsp of rock salt.
- Boil the water well and add cauliflower ,cover for 3 minutes.
- Strain the water from cauliflower and keep it aside.
- Cut the given veggies - have thin sliced onion, vertically split green chilli and cubed carrots.
- Take a pressure cooker , add 3 tbsp of oil + 1 tbsp ghee in a low flame.
- Add Cinnamon,bay leaves,cloves and cardamom - fry for seconds.
- Now add Onion and green Chilli. Fry it until onion becomes slight pinkish.
- Then add carrot,cauliflower,green peas and continue to fry for couple of minutes.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Now add the prepared paste into the cooker and mix well.
- Add coconut milk+water into the content and mix them well again.
- Pressure cook for 3 minutes.
- I have used coconut milk to get a creamy finish.You can opt out if this is a regular menu and not occasional.
- If you don't have Kasa Kasa, you can also use dry gram daal ( PottuKadalai) . Taste would be different in this case.
- Since my dishes are always less spicy as I target for kids, you may add 1 more green chilli if you need more spicy.