Personally, a very nostalgic moment for me to recollect when I was doing my secondary schooling.There is a say in south Tamil Nadu that consuming Vendaikkai ( Okra) increases our Mathematics and analytical skill.So mostly,Vendaikkai would be introduced as early as you get into toddler phase of your growth.I knew having Vendaikkai outside India is one of a blessing for Indian/South Indian Veggie food lovers.
When I used to live in Dusseldorf, as soon as I get into Indian grocery ,my eyes by default would straight land into veggie rack to search for Vendaikkai . That day's shopping would be a dull one if I don't get it. That's how this special veggie touches my life so sentimentally. It was always happy to note that this curry is one of most common inspirational belief for kids to read Maths 🙂
When you prepare Sambar, I am sure most of you would like to first think to take Vendaikkai before other options. Now lets get into the making of this simple dish for your table ...
Lady's Finger/Okra/Vendaikkai - 1/2 kg
Besan flour -3 tbsp
turmeric powder - 1 tsp
red chilli powder - 2 tbsp
oil - 3 tbsp( sesame oil)
Salt -- as needed.
- Rinse and wipe dry all the Vendakkai with a clean kitchen towel.
- Slice it into thin rounds of 0.25 to .5 inches. Keep aside.
- In a shallow frying pan , heat 2tbsp of sesame oil,lower the flame and add cut Vendaikkai into it.
- Stir it well until the sticky watery threads of the veggie goes off.
- Season with salt+turmeric powder+red chilli powder.
- saute the poriyal on a low flame without covering the pan.
- Keep stirring at intervals of 3 to 4 minutes for uniform cooking.
- Add besan flour 3 tbsp and mix it well and add 1 tbsp of oil.
- Now Vendaikkai Poriyal becomes crispy.
- Cook it for 7 mins in the low flame.
- Switch off the flame and serve it white rice+Sambar.