This is a much specialized and unique variety of Sambar that would be one of outstanding side dish for a typical South Indian Tiffin – Pongal, Idly or Dosai,Vadai. You may not find this sambar in restaurants.
This Sambar is aromatic when you prepare with fresh ground Sambar powder. Especially, this Sambar is made with pumpkin and you can serve to kids even with steamed white rice.
- Toor Daal/Thuvaram paruppu -1/2 cup.
- Onions -15 (chinna vengayam/ onion shallots)
- Tomato – 3 (small size)
- Yellow pumpkin -1 cup [ cut into small cubes]
- Red Chilies – 2
- Curry leaves – 10 to 12
- Hing ( Asofoetida) – 1 pinch
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Ulundu (Urid Daal) – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder -1 tsp.
- Sesame oil -3 tsp
Making Sambar Powder:
- Dry Red Chilies – 3
- Coriander Seeds -1 tbsp
- Channa Daal ( Kadalai Paruppu) – 1 tsp
- Black pepper – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – 6 to 8
- Fresh grated coconut – 4 tbsp
Dry roast all the above ingredients in the low flame stir and roast the spices and grind it in the mixer as a smooth powder. So, we are ready to get into Sambar making.
Pressure cooking Daal for Sambar:
- Take a pressure cooker , add ½ cup of Toor Daal. Wash it twice and then add cut yellow pumpkin in it.
- Add tomato+turmeric (haldi) +asafoetida in it.
- Then add 2 cups of water.
- Close and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
- After the pressure is down, open the cooker and mash the daal and yellow pumpkin with a wired whisk or spoon.
Making of Arachuvitta Sambar:
- Heat 2 tbsp of Sesame oil in a pot or pan. Then add 1 tsp of mustard seeds and wait for crackle.
- Then add Urad Daal ( Ulundu) and fry it till it turns into golden brown.
- Now add , 3 dry red chillies and saute till the chili turns colour. Make sure not to over burn them to black.
- Add a spring of curry leaves and small onions and saute them.
- Add the smashed Daal and pumpkin in it.
- After stirring , add 2 cup of water.
- Stir well the contents. If you find the content very thick, slowly add water until it comes to your regular sambar texture. ( Pls note that this sambar should not as watery as regular sambar, keep it slightly thick).
- Now add, freshly ground sambar powder and stir the contents in low flame for 4 to 5 minutes .
- Add salt and mix it well.
- Cook the contents for 5 minutes in low flame.You can a pinch of jaggery ( vellam)if you like this flavor.
Finally, the making has come to an end and Arachuvitta Sambar ready to serve.