Yam (Pidi Karunai Kizhangu) masiyal is the side dish. Yam/ Karunai Kizhangu is a famous vegetable in TamilNadu and there are two types of Yam available in the market. Elephant foot Yam (Saenai Kizhangu in Tamil) and ordinary Yam (Karunai Kizhangu or Pidi Karunai in Tamil). I have used Karunai Kizhangu to make this masiyal which is the best medicine to cure piles. This masiyal is very easy to prepare and tasty. Let us see how to prepare masiyal with very less ingredients.
Karunai Kizhangu (Yam) – 6 nos
Onion - 1 (medium size)
Hing - ½ tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Sambar powder - 1 ½ tbsp
Salt - as needed
Tamarind - small lemon sized ball
To Temper: -
Gingiley oil - 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
Urad dal - ½ tsp
- Wash the Karunai Kizhangu well in water until all the muds are completely removed. Then add it in a pressure cooker and add water till it immersed level.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
- Once pressure released, open the cooker and cool it down. Peel the skin off from the cooked karunai kizhangu.
- Mash it and keep it aside.
- Soak lemon sized tamarind in warm water and extract the tamarind juice.
- Add the tamarind juice in the mash Yam and mix well.
- Then add salt, turmeric powder, hing and sambar powder.
- Mix all the powder well with the Yam.
- Heat oil in a kadai add the items to temper. Fry until mustard seeds cracks and urad dal turn brown.
- Then add onions and saute them well for 5 mins or until they turn brown.
- Once the onions become slightly brown, add tamarind Yam paste mix to the pan. Mix it well.
- Boil the masiyal in medium flame for 20 minutes or until done. Add 1 tbsp of gingiley oil while the gravy is boiling.
- Switch off the flame once the masiyal becomes thick in consistency and oil separated in the edges of the kadai.
Serve it with hot white rice, Rasam and masiyal is the best combo.