Varagu helps in controlling Blood Sugar and Cholesterol. Ragi Millet is an excellent source of natural Calcium which helps in strengthening bones for growing children and aging people. Kambu has 8 times Iron content higher than normal white rice. The rich Iron content in Kambu aids in improving the Hemoglobin level in blood and prevents anemia. For this Idli, I used 3 kinds of Millets.
What you need?
Varagu -1 cup
Ragi -1 cup
Kambu - 1 cup
Urad Daal( Ulundhu) -1 cup
Idli Rice - 1 cup
Rice Flakes( Aval) - 1 cup
Salt - as needed.
Preparing Idli Batter:
- First wash Varagu,Ragi,Kambu,Idly Rice,Ulundhu twice with fresh water.
- Soak the contents with fresh water for 5 to 6 hours.
- Soak the Rice flakes 1 hour before grinding.
- Drain the millets-rice mixture and add to the grinder.
- Add the rice flakes to the grinder.
- Grind the batter to a smooth mix and add salt as needed.
- Cover and place in a warm area to ferment overnight ( approximately 8 hours)
- If you live in a cold region,pre heat the over to 50 deg. Then place batter container inside and turn off the heat. Leave it overnight inside the oven with oven lights on.
- Next day, the batter should have risen well. You would be able to note bubbles of fermentation as you stir gently with a ladle.
Now Preparing the dish :
- To make the Idlis ,add water to the steamer and heat.
- Meanwhile , grease the Idli plate with oil.
- Pour the batter into the Idli plates and place the filled Idli stand inside the steamer once it begins to steam.
4. Cover and steam for 12 to 14 minutes or until you witness a pinch with a fork comes out without stickiness.
5. Remove the Idli plates and carefully remove the steamed Idli with a wet spoon ( slide along the mold gently to get a perfect smooth shape).
Now serve the Multigrain Millet Idlis with Chutney of your own choice.