Usually, most of us use Idli batter recipe for making Dosai. But if you are looking for making a really crispy dosai, then this is the recipe you need to be making. Its is an extremely easy recipe and comes out good every single time. Here is how to do homemade Murugal dosai batter recipe.
1 cup Idli rice(par boiled rice)
1 cup Raw rice
½ cup Urad dal
2 tablespoon Toor dal
¼ cup Aval/poha
¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 ½ teaspoon salt
Ghee and oil for greasing the pan.
- Wash the rice and daal in running water 2-3 times.
- Soak all the ingredients except the Aval (poha) together in water for at least 4 hours.
- Grind the ingredients with little water to a very fine paste. Add up to 2 cups of water while grinding.
- If you are grinding in a mixer, take time and grind in 2-3 batches. Try not to add a lot of water while grinding.
- Add in the salt to the batter and mix well to combine.
- Allow the batter to ferment for at least 8 hours in a warm place.
- The batter would have almost doubled in volume after 8 hours.
- Mix the batter well and the dosai batter is ready. Store the batter in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and use as required.
For making dosai
- If the dosai batter is very thick, thin it out by adding very little water.
- Heat the dosai tawa until it gets medium hot.
- Add 1/3 cup batter and swirl to completely cover dosai tawa.
- Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of ghee or oil to the dosai.
- Cook until underside of the dosai is golden brown about a minute.