For Tamil New Year occasions or on auspicious days you can consider making payasam as one of the naivedyam, since they are easy to make. Aval is the Tamil name of Poha.
In this recipe i have used red aval for making payasam.
Full cream milk - 750 ml
Saffron - a pinch(optional)
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Cahews or Kaju - 10 nos
Sugar - 1/3 cup
Cardamom - a pinch
Condensed milk - 3 tbsp
How to make Aval payasam
- Take 1/3 cup of Aval in a bowl and wash it.
- Soak for 4 mins and drain the water.
- In a heavy kadai or pan, take 1 tbsp of ghee and heat it on low to medium flame.
- When the ghee melts add 10 cashews.
- Begin to fry the cashews on a low flame till they become golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and keep them aside.
- Then add 750 ml of milk and boil it.
- Add saffron in the milk.
- Keep the flame to a low and bring the milk to boil.
- Then add the soaked Aval in the milk.
- Boil the Aval in for 15 mins in the low flame.
- Add a pinch of cardamom powder in it.
- Add 3 tbsp of condensed milk and mix it well.
- Then add 1/3 cup of sugar and boil it for 7 mins till it becomes thick.
- Finally add the fried cashews and mix it well.
Yummy Aval payasam is ready.