Puthina Thuvaiyal is a tangy and thick chutney made with fresh mint leaves or Puthina,tamarind and a few spices. This Puthina thuvaiyal is best served with steamed rice or side dish for Dosai/Idly or our all time savior curd rice.
Ulundhu ( Urad Daal) - 2 tbsp
Green Chillies - 6 nos
Tamarind - a small piece
coconut - 1/4 cup ( grated)
Hing ( Perungayam) - 1/2 tbsp
Oil ( gingely oil) -2 tbsp
Salt - a pinch or as needed.
- Firstly, remove the leaves from the puthina bunch and make it upto 3 or 4 cups ( tightly filled cups).
- Rinse the leaves 2 to 3 times to remove mud/black stains.
- Drain the water and keep aside.
- Rinse curry leaves/Coriander leaves as well and keep it aside.
- In a low flame, heat 2 tbsp of gingely in a pan,fry 2 tbsp of ulundu( Urad) till they turn brown.
- Add green chilli to the fry and stir for few minutes.
- then Add grated coconut to the pan, mix it well and continue frying in low flame.
- Add tamarind & hing once the fry turns brown.
- Now add the Puthina+Curry leaves+Coriander in the pan and mix well.
- Leave the pan in low heat ( switch off if the pan is too hot by now).
- mix the contents well. Let the mixture cool at room temperature.
- Add the pan contents to a mixer jar.
- Add Salt as required and some water if required.
- grind to a coarse paste or a semi-fine paste.
- Remove the ground mix into bowl and serve.
Enjoy the freshness of mint with a touch of indian spice.